Overlanding requires a positive outlook more than physical strength, willingness to explore the world, and openness to meet and travel with like-minded people. Anyone with these traits can be an overlander. For more information on whether you are cut out for overlanding, click here.
As a beginner, it always helps to book and travel as part of a group. Our trucks come loaded with amenities both beginners and seasoned overlanders need on a long expedition, from washing machines and dryers to a fully functional kitchen. Your crew consists of seasoned overlanders and you will always have help and expertise at hand.
The expedition is not so much about luxury as it is about exploring Indian without worrying about basics like food, accommodation, and safety. You get to camp in the wilderness, travel in a comfortable truck, take part in day-to-day chores, and accomplish both easy and difficult walks as part of the group. Overlanding can get challenging but it is not impossible to adapt to.
This depends on the difficulty level of the itinerary. At the moment, we don't allow children younger than 15 years old on our trips.
Yes, our travellers are all over 15 years of age.
Yes. You will need to provide a medical fitness certificate before we confirm your booking.
- The fare you pay Voyages Overland includes accommodation, food and travel
- Over the fixed price, your guide will collect a variable amount as part of the kitty to pay overheads and activities during the trip such as entry fee to monuments
- Kitty will be collected in INR/ USD
- Optional activities
- Travel and lodging if you decide to stay longer in a particular town on the itinerary
- Flight fares and airport transfers
- Transportation while not on the trip or while exploring a city separately from the rest of the group
- Passports and visas
- Accommodation upgrades
- Meals, drinks, tips outside of what is included in the fare
- Spending money
- Voyages Overland will provide tents, bedding, and sleeping bags
- If you have additional requirements, please check in with us before you pack. We have several essentials available on-board for sale as well as complimentary
- We recommend a backpack instead of a suitcase for ease of handling
- Daypack to carry essentials for the excursion of the day
- Locker will be provided for you to safely lock your valuables on the truck
- Ground mats and sleeping bags will be provided. However, you can bring your own in case you wish
- Weather-appropriate clothing. Remember that even when it is warm during the day, it can often get cold at night, particularly in the desert
- A set of smart casuals for the odd meal or night out
- A waterproof jacket with hood to keep out the rain
- Swimwear if you plan on getting into the sea or pool
- Women should bring along a scarf when places of worship
- Sun hat or warm hat if trekking
- Appropriate footwear for rough terrains, city walks, and treks
- Head torch/flashlight
- Sunscreen and sunglasses
- Passport photos
- Photocopies of your passport and any visas you have obtained for the trip
- A pouch or money belt
- Writing materials and a notebook or a diary
- A multipurpose knife
- Good water bottle at least one litre. We are allergic to littering plastic
- Moistened tissues, hand gel and sanitizer
- Toilet paper, this may be purchased almost everywhere en-route but one roll spare may be a life saver
- Some plastic bags to save your equipment from dust and moisture
- Personal medical kit for your specific medication needs
- Pack light. We will have several essentials on board during the trip, including spare personal care products, basic medication, first aid kit etc
Sometimes you may need to travel by cab within city limits, depending on the infrastructure and local regulations of the place you are in.
Yes. Our itineraries are flexible to accommodate busy schedules. All the full size itineraries have mini itineraries and entry-exit points built in. You can travel with Voyages Overland even if you have a week at hand.
Yes. We will reimburse part cost based on the cancellation charges incurred.
Inform your tour leader as soon as possible
Yes. But check in with us for availability first.
You will only need to pay for all the days on the itinerary that you booked.
- Make sure to keep us informed in case of delay
- Detailed information on the time and whereabouts of the group will be shared with you, and you can join accordingly
- Any additional expenses in getting to the new destinations needs to be borne by you
Yes, you will need to provide proof before the trip commences.
- Accidental cover
- Medical expenses
- Personal Liability
- High altitude coverage if necessary for the tour (The Great Himalayan Trail)
- All medical expenses including repatriation
- Expensive items you carry with you, e.g. mobile phone, cameras, laptops etc.
- Activities like water rafting, diving etc.
- All places in the itinerary are recce'd and reviewed in advance.
- We plan our trip on the basis of information from locals and our network of friends and families who live in those places.
- In case of unforeseen events, we make changes in the itinerary to avoid possible mishaps.
- Trucks are inspected before boarding.
- Our experienced crew is well acquainted with the environment.
- We advice our travellers to carry fewer expensive items, expensive jewellery etc.
- All taxis are booked through known travel agents, hotels, and restaurants.
- Whenever possible, we request are travellers to move in groups.
- We request our travellers to moderate their consumption of alcohol and be alert at all times.
- Travellers are responsible for their belongings, truck is locked at all times and lockers are provided in the truck.
- For more information on our approach to safe travel, click here.
- We recommend carrying some spending money at hand; do not rely entirely on ATMs.
- It is safe to carry credit and debit cards.
- Avoid traveller cheques.
- Meals are prepared onsite when camping.
- Meals will consist of local cuisines.
- We will ensure a well-balanced and nutritious diet.
- If you are a vegetarian or have special dietary needs, please specify at the time of booking.
- We recommend carry special requirements from home; we cannot guarantee its availability in local markets and groceries.
- We recommend that you carry only non-perishable food items on the trip.
- Our truck is fully equipped with western style toilets.
- You can find western style toilets in most places in India.
- The utility truck comes equipped with a washing machine and dryer.
- You can also use local laundries or a hotel's laundry service at your own cost.
- Air conditioning will be available on board in hot weather.
- Homestays and remote locations come equipped with all basic amenities.
- Hotels in cities will be good quality, safe, and comfortable.
- We recommend you get a local SIM with roaming activated.
- If your local number is not reachable, friends and family can get in touch with the company.
- We recommend you carry a travel adaptor.
- We will have charging points in the truck.
- If you have to cut the trip short due to illness, medical assistance will be provided at the nearest hospital.
- Crew will be aware of local hospitals and medical centres through the itinerary.
- Family will be kept informed in case of a medical emergency.
- Voyages Overland will have a medical kit on board, but we recommend you carry your specific medication on the trip.
If you have any more questions, feel free to write to us email@example.com and we will get back to you with answers within 24-48 hours.